Recipe provided by Food & Wine Specialist Ema Koeda.
Chef Koeda: “This healthy cake is loaded with carrots and nuts. It’s great for a snack or even for breakfast!”
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
A – Yogurt Cream
- 150 g cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 100 g plain yogurt
- Zest of one orange
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 190 g flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 50 g walnuts (finely chopped)
- 30 g each raisins, prunes, figs, or other dried fruit (cut into 1 cm pieces)
- 200 g carrots
- 20 g fresh ginger
- 2 eggs
- 170 g white sugar
- 30 g brown sugar
- Juice of 1 orange (70 cc)
- 80 cc olive oil
- Mix ingredients for A together in a bowl and place in refrigerator.
- Mix ingredients for B together in another bowl.
- Grate carrots and ginger in food processor and add to 2.
- Clean food processor and blend eggs, white sugar, and brown sugar for one minute. Gradually blend in orange juice and olive oil, and mix for one minute.
- Combine 4 and 2, and bake at 170 degrees Celsius for about 40 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Cut cake and serve with chilled yogurt cream.
It’s really great. I make it once a month.
I can´t imagine how this tastes. My experience is that both carrots and ginger are quite sweet when cooked and there´s a lot of sugar on top of it all. But it´s a cake and it´s supposed to be sweet, right?!